Stoneham Garden Club
It all began on May 18,1928 at a home on Williams Street as 13 ladies and 1 gentleman met to form a garden club which was to be called the Stoneham Garden Club and now 85 years later we look forward to the future with enthusiasm and re dedication to the original goals of those gathered that day.
Originally the meetings were held twice a month at Member's homes all year round. On October 16, 1975 the Club held its first meeting at Whip hill, the 30 acre Conservation Center and Wildlife Refuge, owned by the Town of Stoneham and operated by the Stoneham Conservation commission. The park is funded by the the Taxpayers of Stoneham and the Whip Hill Park Trust, established by Mrs. Angie Crockett as a memorial to her husband.
At Christmas the house is decorated by the Garden Club for the annual"Christmas at Whip Hill" for the past 12 years the Club has maintained the Herb Garden and Perennial Border.
In addition to our dues, (which in 1928 were$.50) our Annual Plant Sale and Luncheon, held in May is our major source of funds. A special thanks to all that make it a success. Last fall our table at Town Day was also a financial success. We have had a table at Town Day since Sept. 2003.
This year, we are trying our hand at helping the Town's children learn about planting and arranging the town's Flower,Black-eyed Susan, at the Soneham Library for Arbor Day.
Twice a year our members contribute to the Town's Food Pantry. We bring things that cannot be brought with food stamps such as paper products and personal items.
Our membership is kept informed thru our Annual Yearbook and monthly newsletter.. Our first yearbook was published in 1933 and we have a complete collection of Yearbooks at Whip Hill..
Please join us at one of our monthly meetings.